Gunner

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 07:16:06 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
newsPEFe.50554$4o.11019@fed1read06...
How much would it cost for a garage machinists to take a piece of 1"
square rod 6" long ...........

snip

I am disappointed in you all. 12 responses, and no one that will even guess
at a price.

All I want to know is if it will be plausible. One fellow said he needed a
drawing. For what? If he can't read the simple description, I don't want
him to touch the job. Another suggested a CNC shop. Very plausible, but no
guess. Another said $45. Warmer. I know for $45 per, this project will
not be practical.

Can anyone give a straight answer? I'm not really interested in how to do
it or which machines one would use. Just a guess at how much each would
cost.

Thanks.

You guys are a great group, but you missed the target on this one.

Steve

Steve, without a print, dimensions, tolerence and so forth, no one in
their right mind would give you a quote, if they do this for a living.

If you want to fax me a print(s), Ill have a couple of my job shops
give you quotes.

Its not just the description Steve..but the liability. I could have PT
Engineering turn out these for you at $xx each, and if you refused
them, we both (Nyguen and I) would be stuck eating the materials, and
the machine time.

Now if you wanted a BUNCH of them..I can also give you a quote on
having them die cast., either complete units, or modular so you can
mix and match features. Mold cost will be steep, parts will be very
cheap. The first one will cost you about $10,000. The rest of them a
couple bucks each at most.

Based on your rather nebulous description, they could be done for much
less than $45 each,..much less..but material cost alone can run a big
gammit, depending on what you actually want them made off. Aluminum?
Hrs? Crs?

Aluminum can be run balls to the wall, lots of parts per hour.
Steel...way slower...more hours, higher cost. Do they need to be
deburred? What surface finish? Deburring costs are expensive if you
want detail hand work, or simply stuck in a vibratory deburrer?

Im serious. If you want a quote, email me, Ill give you a couple fax
numbers, and Ill get you brother-in-law pricing.

Gunner

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability,
accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose
and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee,
imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any
particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or
responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect
to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by
any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it
into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts
that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other
agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within
five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or
by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron
who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece
of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a
bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'