Artemia Salina

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 07:16:06 -0700, SteveB wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
newsPEFe.50554$4o.11019@fed1read06...
How much would it cost for a garage machinists to take a piece of 1"
square rod 6" long ...........

snip

I am disappointed in you all. 12 responses, and no one that will even guess
at a price.

The reason that we amateur machinists ARE amateur machinists is to avoid
the delays and expense associated with having things made for us. Notice
that this implies that we do not go to machine shops to have things made,
and therefor would have no reason to know what the going rate for machine
work is.

How would I know what it would cost to have someone make the widgets I want?
I make them myself!

All I want to know is if it will be plausible.

If WHAT will be plausible?

One fellow said he needed a
drawing. For what?

The devil is in the details. What might seem like an inconsequential
detail to you could be a major complication to the implementation.
For example, you say you want flutes in the pieces, but you don't
say how many you want. The equipment needed for the task depends
on how many flutes (divisions of 360 degrees) there will be and
where they will be located relative to the square section. Many
"garage machinists" will not have a dividing head for their miller
and may therefor not be able to give what you want at all. Of course,
they won't even be able to SAY if they can do the job without A DRAWING.

If he can't read the simple description, I don't want
him to touch the job.

It's not the description he's having trouble reading. It's your MIND
that he can't read.

Can anyone give a straight answer?

I doubt it, without a straight question.

I'm not really interested in how to do
it or which machines one would use. Just a guess at how much each would
cost.

$75 dollars each. That's my guess. Good enough?