Frank Boettcher

I installed about 300 sq.ft. of that same flooring in my upstairs
office running parallel to the joists because that was the way it
looked the best. installed over a plywood subfloor. About twelve
years ago with a lot of traffic and still in perfect condition with no
buckling.

One thing I wished I had done. the subfloor was nailed to the floor
joists without construction adhesive. over time the nails will loosen
as the two woods dry. the new t & g oak got a lot of but not all of
the squeeks out.

When I did the rest of the upstairs with carpet and ceramic tile in
the bathroom, I put a wood screw next to every nail, whether loose or
waiting to be loose. with the help of my two boys, only took a couple
of hours. took out all of the squeeks and movement of the floor. made
it feel much more solid.

frank

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:15:09 -0400, "Brad"
wrote:

I bought a home with hardwood floors in the half of the home. The flooring
was laid with the boards (2.25" x 3/4" T&G oak) running parallel to the
floor joists. I want to install hardwood throughout the rest of house, but I
am concerned about the flooring orientation. Aesthetically, it won't look
pleasing if I switch the board direction.

Is this something I should be concerned with, or should I just continue with
the flooring "as is".

Thanks,
Brad

PS- The current flooring is showing no signs of buckling or any signs of
movement. They are three years old.