Bob G.

On 26 Jul 2005 14:38:01 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

Wanting to move beyond the limitations of my old Craftsman tabletop
router table and my trusty PC 690 router, I am looking to move up to a
more substantial router and table. I'd like to put a new router in the
33" wide right-side table extension of my contractor table saw. I
think that the experience of the helpful wReck-ers in this group might
prove valuable.

1. What are folks experience with this strategy vs. a separate router
table? Does the dual use of the table extension real estate cause any
significant conflicts or PITA restrictions? My shop, like many others
is a bit crowded.

2. Does the existing 3/4" particle board need to be reinforced, like
with another 3/4" layer of MDF?

3. I am looking at two router strategies:
a. Milwaukee 6525-20 router with a Woodpeckers aluminum router table
plate
b. PC 7518 router with a router lift (Woodpeckers Precision Router
Lift, Jessem Mast-R-Lift)

On item 2., I'm leaning toward the Milwaukee+plate vs. the PC+lift. My
reasoning is that the Milwaukee seems to be a somewhat better table
router and already has top surface adjustment capability. I am hoping
to avoid going under the table for bit replacement by using offset
wrenches from the top. Will this work? This option is a lot less
expensive, too.

Does anyone have experience with any of these options that they'd like
to share?

Thanks for the help.

Bob

===============================
Without reading the other replies I wanted to add my 2 cents worth....

Yes I have a router installed in my table saws wing....have for years.
I also have a stand alone Benchdog table, a stand alone Pin Router
table and a stand alone horizontial table... all BTW have routers
installed and dedicated to them...

I almost NEVER use the tablesaw mounted router...its just too low
to use ... lets say its more a pain in the back then in the a$$ ...
Its one advantage is it does save space...but even in my little 24x24
foot shop I prefer stand alone units...

Can't offer any advice on routers...(I use little dewalt 610's )in all
the tables ....when I abbsolutely need a monster router I will install
My PC in the benchdog... but to be honest the little 1 Hp 610's handle
95 percent of my needs just fine...

I see no real need to empty my wallet on any router lifter ..sorry but
adjusting any of my routers is just not difficult or time
consumming...

Just my opinion.

Bob G.