Kevin

Hello Ed,

I started turning in Otober 2003. Prior to purchasing any tools I spent
perhaps 4 or 5 months lurking on this group as well as visiting websites
dedicated to turning. While I was a tool and die builder in a previous
incarnation I knew nothing about turning wood. I went to the local library
and looked at as many of the woodturning books they had.

As to your questions.
Lathe. I doubt you can find a good new lathe for under $300.00. I bought a
Jet 1236 and it has seved me well as a starter. I may upgrade in a few years
but for now I am satisfied. The size of the lathe to purchase should
probably be dictated by several factors. How much room do you have? What
type of turning do you want to do (bowls and such, spindle turning, both? If
you want to turn pens, there is a Jet midi that gets good comments.
Tools. Someone on this group once said something to the effect of "Buy once
cry once" That is get good tools right from the start. However I have also
read that some fairly inexpensive tools but servicable tools can be had.
They can get you started as well as give you something cheaper to practice
sharpening on.
Sharpening. There is some difference of opinion on sharpening as there is
on many facets of wood turning. That is one of the things that makes it
entertaining - if you are trying something that doesn't work for you, there
is always another opinion on how it should be done. If it works for you,
great. I bought a 2 wheel grinder with one white and one grey and it works
just fine. I have a Sorby fingernail bowl gounge and have yet to develop
the skill needed to hand sharpen. I purchased a Packard jig to help me
sharpen.
Wood. I learned on hard maple and 2X4s. The maple was a beautiful wood
that I wish I had more of. Pretty much any kind of wood will work. Starting
out you want to develop a skill set and as there will be quite a number of
mistakes made it is more economical to make them on free wood.
Safety. I use a face shield. I also have a dust collector and a home-made
air cleaner. The latter is turned on when I start sanding and let running
for about an hour after I've finished. You can spend several hundred dollars
for a top of the line dust mask that will likely be good in the long run (20
years of turning without protectiuon is not a good thing). I bought a
resporator from Woodcraft
see: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...&FamilyID=4387
Again, depending on the type of turning there are other tools you may see a
need for. You mentioned pen turning so a drill press may well be in your
future.
Others more experienced may well chime in.
Good luck

"Ed Peddycoart" wrote in message
(Yes, this is Yet Another Newbie Question On How To Get Started....)

I want to get started doing some turning. I don't know anyone that
turns so I am looking here for some virtual hand holding as I get
started. I just want to give it a try for now and see how I like it (I
am pretty sure I will) I don't know where I want to go with it...it is
just something I have wanted to try for over 20 years and decided there
is no time like the present....

Lathe - What to buy? Small mini lathe? Something like people use to
turn pens? Can you buy something reasonable for $300?

Tools - Which ones (gouge, parting tool etc.) to buy first? From what I
understand the good stuff ain't cheap. I'd rather buy fewer good tools
now than have to replace them later on.

Sharpening system - Will a manual whet stone get it done, or am I going
to buy something like the tormek type of sharpening system.

Wood - What is good for beginners? I would imagine I am not going to
want to practice on some rare, exotic, cocarosamahogabinga thing.... Is
poplar a good beginner woods?

Safety - I would assume this is an issue. I probably need to address a
breathing mask or something.... Also is there a way to reduce the
dust/particulates/etc in the air on the whole? My son has bad allergies
and I know he will want to watch so I will need to filter the area as
much as possible.

Books - Is there a "Turning for Dummies" type of book?

Internet - Any good beginner sites? Equipment reviews?

Thanks,

Ed