George E. Cawthon

Marc Miller wrote:
I'm no electrician so I thought I would post a question. What's the maximum
draw
that can be connected to a standard household circuit? I have a 200amp
panel and just installed a circuit with numerous outlets and a fluorescent
light fixture on a 15amp breaker with 12/2 Romex (Does that mean all
equipment connected cannot exceed 15amps on this one circuit?). I put two
duplex outlets
together so I would have four connections in the basement, and then the wire
was run to the garage to power the light as well as one duplex outlet. Just
curious as I don't want to get in trouble.

You hear about people starting fires by connecting too many appliances to
one outlet. I don't think I have that problem but want to make sure. The
only things connected in the basement are low draw appliances (high speed
modem, two routers and an ac adapter to charge the house alarm battery).
Thanks...

Your question is based on a false premise.
Connecting too many appliance to an outlet does
not cause fires. Connecting too many appliance
to an 0EXTENSION CORD causes fires because the
cord can't carry the current.

Outlets are on a house circuit which is protected
by a breaker. Too much current for the circuit
and the breaker trips--no fire. Put too many
appliance on a small cord, one that won't carry as
much current as a house circuit, and the circuit
breaker won't trip, the cord just gets hot and burns.