Jim Adney

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:26:51 GMT "Andy Sullivan"
wrote:

"Jim Adney" wrote in message ...

And, yes, I used a laptop to connect directly to the telco service
disconnect with the rest of my house disconnected. The results were
the same, so I'm sure that the problem is outside my home.

Not quite following you. Have you tried from an immediate
neighbor's house?

As a check to see if the problem was something to do with my home
interior wiring, I went to my home's network interface and
disconnected my home from the incoming line. Then I plugged my laptop
into the network interface and checked to see what speed I could
connect at. I got the same slow speed as from inside the house.

I have not checked with a neighbor. That's a good idea. I'll also ask
them what they get.

I DID try connecting from work, and got good connect speeds: well into
the 40s, so I don't think there's any question where the problem is.
THe only question is whether I can do anything about it, or get
someone else to do something about it.

Does your ISP offer any other local access numbers? If so,
try them. Or just for a test, use a number that's not local and
see if there's any difference.

No there's just one number, but it actually connects to probably
hundreds of lines on their end.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA