Christopher Tidy

Default Selecting a motor for rotary phase transformer

Ignoramus5833 wrote:
I am going to build an RPC. I will go to an industrial junk yard to
pick a used 3 phase motor, tomorrow. I do not want to buy a wrong
motor.

Some questions, possibly very ignorant:

1. Is TEFC better than drip proof, for me?

2. Is there a difference in wye vs delta wound, as far as I am concerned?

3. Do I need ball bearing or I can get away with sleeve bearing
(remember, it is an idler, no load or thrust on shaft other than at
startup).

4. What HP to choose? With these motors essentially free, the cost
difference between 10 and 7.5 HP is minimal. 10 HP, though, draws a
lot more current at startup. My garage has a subpanel that is on a 60
amp breaker.

5. I salvaged a 1/4 and 1/3 HP motors from two broken vacuum pumps
that I had. I would buy a 5/8" ID pulley on one of them. Would they be
able to spin up a 7.5 or 10 HP motor? Jim Rozen reportedly used a 1/4
HP pony to spin up a 7.5 HP motor, that makes me hopeful.

6. How fast would the idler need to spin before I can remove the pony
and apply 220V to the idler input?

7. Is there something that I forgot to ask?

If you want a 220 V three phase output, just make sure the idler motor
is rated to run at 220 V on the data plate. This will most likely mean a
delta (mesh) connected motor. Should you want a 440 V output (you'll
need a transformer for this) you'll need a motor rated for 440 V
operation. Depending on the size this could mean either a star or delta
connection.

Personally I like sleeve bearing motors. They're quiet and there's
something nicely "old school" about them. Some of the poorer ball
bearing motors don't even have grease nipples. I would check that there
is a way of lubricating the bearings from the outside.

If that big transformer happens to be 220 V - 440 V, keep it! It might
be useful for a phase convertor designed for running larger motors.

I am very tempted to build a phase convertor now. It would mean I didn't
have to build individual capacitor start and run systems for each
machine. I built one for my power hacksaw, but then it stopped working
last winter. Probably too complicated and the damp got to some of the
components. I will have to dismantle it and locate the problem when I
get chance.

I can get 2.5 hp and 22.5 hp motors free for a phase convertor. I reckon
22.5 hp is too big, both to carry and in terms of current demand! Any
idea how big a load I could run using a 2.5 hp idler motor? By the way,
it is a 940 rpm motor. Would a flywheel to store extra energy improve
performance?

Best wishes,

Chris