Eric Bustad wrote:
Adam H. Kerman wrote:
At 8:11am -0700, 07/25/05, wrote:

Cheapest postage is to buy stamps below face value.

You have a company that does that legally, for stamps that have not fallen
off the back of the truck?

Old stamps with obsolete values (i.e. 32 cents) can be bought quite
legally at large discounts. The original purchasers either bought them
originally as "investments", or had them left over when the rates changed.

I suppose so, but is there a cheap, fast way to buy older stamps?

(snip)

That turns domestic mail into international mail
and subjects it to potential delay at customs, and possible loss of
privacy if they decide to open it.

I'm the US and sometimes buy CDs from overseas companies, mainly in the
UK and Europe. I've found that international service is cheap and fast,
contrary to my worries. I've never had any problems such as those you
describe.

Mail sent from the UN in NYC does not go through customs. It is already
within the US.

Interesting. I'm not in NYC and will never use the UN post office, but
it's kinda interesting to hear about it.

(snip)