Sparks

Default HELP fitting a bathroom ceiling light!

"Shaun" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:50:20 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Thanks for this great help! One question: when you say "side" and
"base" terminals - can you clarify this a little?

Basically, in an ES fitting, there is a small point contact, which should

be
live, and a large screw contact, which should be neutral. This is because

it
is very easy to touch the large screw contact, so you don't want that one

be the live one. If you get them the wrong way round, it is dangerous and

an
obvious failure upon inspection.

Christian.

Hmm OK - this seems to go against what I was told by the previous
poster so I'm kinda back to square one! From the pictures I posted can
you clarify which is which before I burn the house down?

The brown or red wire should connect to the tip of the screw in bulb, and
the blue or black wire should connect to the thread of the bulb - the earth
should connect to the casing of the fitting.

L is Live (Brown or Red wire)
N is Neutral (Blue or Black wire)
E is earth (Green, Green/Yellow or bare wire (You should use some
green/yellow sleeving if it is bare))

L N and E *should* be marked on the light fitting!

Sparks...