Eric R Snow

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:10:50 GMT, "J. R. Carroll"
wrote:

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
.. .
Anybody reading this has probably looked through the list of
newsgroups that their ISP has on their servers. So I check now and
then for new groups. Several times the new groups list will have
groups that start with fido7. For example: fido7.ru.ded &
fido7.su.hardw.pc.repair. I have sampled several of these groups but
there are never any messages. Just what are these groups? Anybody
know. Do they have anything to do with dogs?
Eric

Eric,
I got to wondering about this myself a while ago. This was the explanation I
found.

"FidoNet consists of approximately 10,000 systems world-wide which comprise
a network which exchanges mail and files via Modems using a proprietary
protocol. They are connected for the purposes of exchanging E-Mail to the
Internet thru a series of gateway systems which interact with the Internet
via UUCP with cooperating UNIX-based smart-hosts which act as their
MX-receivers.
With some exceptions, you cannot Telnet or FTP to a FidoNet site, only
communicate via E-Mail and Usenet News. "

Thanks for the info. Any idea what FIDO stands for?
Eric