Karl Vorwerk

I used to use nippers but now I'd use fencing pliers if cutting by hand. I
like your idea but I'd build some sort of jig with the arbor mounted to it
and a guide for the coil. That was always what I planned to do anyway.
We preferred galvanized electric fence wire as we believe it was stiffer
than regular wire.
I spun the coils using board a with a hole slightly larger than your rod and
a screw near it as a guide. I'd recommend a !/4" steel rod in a variable
speed drill. Start the wire by sticking it in the chuck between jaws or
drill a hole in the rod and make a loop in the wire when you start so you
have a way to cut it off the rod. It goes without saying keep everything
including your fingers away from the wire while spinning.
If you want to use the dremel cut off wheels use the fiber ones the others
wear out quickly. For the number of links you'll be cutting I doubt it's
cost effective.
The final most important suggestion is google search for: Society for
Creative Anachronism SCA chain mail.
Karl

"Mark Healey" wrote in message
news
I'd like to cut some rings to make chainmail. I'm using 16ga mig wire and
winding them on a 1/4 inch dowel.

I want to cut them with a jewelers slotting saw. I've found the blades
all over the place but can't find an arbor that will fit into a 3/8 inch
drill chuck. Where do I get one?

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com