Set Square

Default Part L Building Regs

Mike Harrison wrote:

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 18:17:29 +0100, "Tim Jenkins"
wrote:

Hello,

Got a new front door on order from Premdor - just noticed it has a U
value of 2.8. Also just noticed Part L building regs specify a
U-value of 2.0 to be compliant !

Question : What should I do ?!

a) Fill in minor works Building application (for replacement
Windows/Doors). Pay my £100. Fit new front door. Have Building
officer come round aftewards and tell me U-value too high, remove it
and replace with something else. Rip out v.expensive door and risk
divorce ?

b) Fit front door and plead ignorance ? Risk BCO coming round at
some point asking questions ?

Are these Building Control Officers reasonable people ? ie. We have
double glazing, I've topped up the loft insulation and we have
cavity wall insulation so having a front door that is slightly over
the regulation U-value isn't going to make that much difference ?
The fact that our current front door is no where near compliant with
the new regs either - nothing to stop me just putting that back I
suppose + the next door neighbour has still got the original 30-yr
old single glazed, rotten wood framed windows in situ - they're
probably no-where near compliant either.

The Premdor catalogue have given the door an Amber Part-L rating,
quote "Part L (Amber icon) suitable for refurbishment projects as
the glazed area of the door is less than 50% of door and frame
area". No-where in the Building regs application for I've downloaded
does it mention about the size of the glazed area !

Advice appreciated.
Tim.

I wouldn't worry unless you're planning on selling in the near
future. I doubt BCOs have time to wander the streets looking for
dodgy glazing....

AIUI, this particular reg is only about 2 years old - so when you eventually
come to sell the house, it will be very difficult for anyone to prove that
it wasn't fitted before 2002 - unless the particular design of door was
patently not available at that time.

These regs are largely cosmetic - so the UK government can claim it's doing
its bit for global warming. Having a slightly non-compliant front door will
make very little difference in the overall scheme of things - and you're
very unlikely to get hounded by an over-vigilant BCO.
--
Cheers,
Set Square