Martin Angove

In message ,
wrote:

Brian wrote:
"Pandora" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am putting in Cat 6 and CT100 everywhere in my home as part of a
general re-wire.

I intend to connect my main wideband aerial to a distribution amplifier
in the loft. (I don't have a satellite dish, nor do I plan to get one.)
From the amplifier, I will run co-ax to every room.

Most rooms have just one co-ax outlet. The lounge (the main TV room),
however, has three runs of CT100. Is three enough considering that I
may, at some stage, have cable TV installed in the future?

Depends how it's done. If you intend to have the cable box in the living
room and want to feed the signal from that into the house distribution
system then all you'll need is a run of co-ax *up* from the living room
to the amplifier, and a combiner of some description to combine its
signal with that from your aerial *before* the distribution amplifier.

Unless there is some special circumstance, the cable company will want
to install their own cable from the street as far as the box. If you
want cable internet access then you may need an additional co-ax from
the main incoming position to the position of your cable modem, or you
may instead need CAT5 from the cable box to your router/whatever (i.e.
the modem is in the box). I've seen both systems.

I was told that in a few years time (7?) they're going to phase out TV
transmissions by standard aerial and everyone will need either cable or
satellite. Is that total rubbish? It sounds it to me.

*Analogue* terrestrial transmissions are due to be phased out but the
date seems to be slipping, I think it's 2012 or something now.
Digital terrestrial transmissions (i.e. FreeView) will continue for
the forseeable future.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/switchover.html

Some areas will begin analogue switch-off as early as 2007, others will
have to wait until 2012. The full list is above, but the first three
will be Border, West Country and HTV Wales, the last will be Channel.
The BBC should follow that pattern as closely as their regions will
allow.

Wales is going to be interesting, especially the Valleys, as there is
such a lot of overcrowding at the moment (lots of small relay
transmitters) that even four analogue channels is a bit of a squeeze,
and digital switchover is likely to be just that - a switchover - rather
than a phasing in of one system and phasing out of the other.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... If it's stupid, but it works, then it's not stupid.