Doug Miller

In article , Dean Hummel wrote:
Hello,

I have a 6" jointer and 1 12.5" thicknesser. Recently bought some 14
inch wide mahogany I want to use for door panels. I would truly prefer
to NOT cut them in half so I can joint and thickness the surfaces.

Cutting them in half won't help anyway.... they'll still be too wide. :-)

I also have some 8 inch wide oak I would like to use as rails and stiles
for the doors, and I would prefer to flatten this as a single piece
before I run them thought the thicknesser.

So I am looking for suggestions on how to obtain a flat surface on the wood.

This came up a few months ago, and IIRC somebody had a pretty detailed
description of a planer sled. There was also an article about building a sled
in one of the woodworking magazines around that time, which was referred to in
the discussions here. A Google Groups search on "jointer" and "sled" will
probably turn it up.

--
Regards,