Tim Jenkins

Default Part L Building Regs

Hello,

Got a new front door on order from Premdor - just noticed it has a U value
of 2.8. Also just noticed Part L building regs specify a U-value of 2.0 to
be compliant !

Question : What should I do ?!

a) Fill in minor works Building application (for replacement Windows/Doors).
Pay my £100. Fit new front door. Have Building officer come round aftewards
and tell me U-value too high, remove it and replace with something else. Rip
out v.expensive door and risk divorce ?

b) Fit front door and plead ignorance ? Risk BCO coming round at some point
asking questions ?

Are these Building Control Officers reasonable people ? ie. We have double
glazing, I've topped up the loft insulation and we have cavity wall
insulation so having a front door that is slightly over the regulation
U-value isn't going to make that much difference ? The fact that our current
front door is no where near compliant with the new regs either - nothing to
stop me just putting that back I suppose + the next door neighbour has still
got the original 30-yr old single glazed, rotten wood framed windows in
situ - they're probably no-where near compliant either.

The Premdor catalogue have given the door an Amber Part-L rating, quote
"Part L (Amber icon) suitable for refurbishment projects as the glazed area
of the door is less than 50% of door and frame area". No-where in the
Building regs application for I've downloaded does it mention about the size
of the glazed area !

Advice appreciated.
Tim.