Grunff

Default HELP fitting a bathroom ceiling light!

Shaun wrote:
Hi guys
OK I'm new to electrics - never felt too sure about them. Anyway we
need to replace the light on the bathroom celing. I bought one in
Homebase and got it home only to find out the instructions are wrong!
They refer to a diagram which shows which terminal is positive and
which negative. Of course, the lamp holder that comes with the light
has a different layout to the one in the picture so its impossible to
tell which is which! (Why oh why isnt there a + and a - on there
somewhere???!)

Because it's AC - there is no + or - (or rather, they swap round 50
times a second, so it doesn't matter).

I'm sure its really obvious to most people which is + and which - but
I really am unsure and want to get some advice before proceeding with
my first install! I am presuming the +ve is the one, when viewed from
the inside, which has the sort of "springy" brass connector, is this
right?

The live should be connected to the base terminal, and the neutral to
the side terminal. But to be perfectly honest, it really doesn't matter
- it's become very common for people not to pay any attention when
fitting edison screw (ugh) fittings.

--
Grunff