blueman

DJ writes:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:13:40 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

"talkingcell" wrote in message
groups.com...
Someone punched the drywall with a chair or something and it left a
crack/hole on the wall, not very big. How to fix it? thnaks in advance.

With three teen-aged boys, there were always
mysterious holes in the walls....

What worked for me;
Stuff the hole with crumpled newspaper.
Use patching plaster and a wide trowel to smoothe the surface.

Certainly not "professional', but "homeowner functional"

First cut the patch, slightly larger than the hole.
Cut the hole to match the size of the patch.
Get yourself a piece of 1/4" ply or a section of 1x2 that is longer
than the hole is wide by a few inches.
Spread some construction adhesive on the surface of the wood you are
going to use for the backer support. Just hit the ends of the piece,
outside the dimension of the hole/patch.
Slide the backer piece into the hole, align it to center, pull on it
to set the adhesive. At this point you can also use a couple of
drywall screws to secure the backer to the good sheetrock.
Place your patch into the hole, secure it to the backer with a screw
or three.
Tape, mud, sand and paint.

This is exactly what I do and it works great.
The key line you mention (and I am repeating in case people missed it)
is "Cut the hole to match the size of the patch." Much easier than the
opposite way around and this way you have a perfect fit each time.