Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:00:02 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

I've heard this from other visitors; and admit that I felt a certain
trepidation about traveling to France. I'd been told to expect a cold
rudeness and that I could expect to be looked down upon if I couldn't
speak French well (I don't.)

It's not just speaking French; you need to speak the _right_ French.
First time I was there, was Paris in 1986 or so. Went with a
French-speaking family from Belgium. Alas, they spoke the 'wrong
French'. But, it wasn't just our group that was getting the treatment;
the French were being rude to each other as well.

Hmm, remind you of New York?

Moreover, Parisian French isn't spoken anywhere outside of Paris,
except by furriners who learned to speak French that way.

I was in Paris twice in January, 1973. The first time there was
a masive street demonstration, the second time a massive riot.

The Parisians were nice to me though, and my French was not the
best, though better than it is today. The tongue rusts.

--

FF