PC Paul

Lobster wrote:
markc wrote:

We've just moved into a newly converted flat and every single door
(even the broom cupboard) has one of those concealed chain door
closers fitted.

Propping doors open is a right pain, so I'm tempted to remove some of
them (hopefully without trapping my fingers in the chain...). Before
I do though, I thought I'd check whether any of this is likely to be
required by building or fire regulations - can anyone enlighten me?

They often are; considering the extra expense it's unlikely they would
have been fitted without good reason. These will be fire doors, too,
it's not just the door closers. It's impossible to say for sure
without more details about the flat and building, but the phrase
"newly converted flat" is a strong clue that these would have been a
building regs requrement.

Broom cupboard sounds a bit OTT though!

What's the layout of the whole building? ISTR some regs on all doors having
to be 'fire doors' when you got to three floors or more.