Bob Mannix

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:26:01 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:56:50 +0100, wrote:

I find wedges are a waste of time for splitting, if it doesn't readily
split with an axe I saw it.

Maybe for firewood, but I split a lot of wood for steam bending. If I'm
trying to open up a split in a 6' long log, I need a bagful of wedges.

OK we tend to make a distinction and call the latter cleaving or
riving, for this hammer and wedge or beetle and fro are more
appropriate. The axe is often used to trim fibers and finish the
split.

Splitting, by definition, is dividing something into two.

Sorry Mary, but you started the pedant sub-thread!

My dictionary has "breaking/dividing something into two *two or more parts*"
(including hairs!)

/nopedant

Bob Mannix