Michael Gresham

"Upscale" wrote in message
Not completely sure I agree with the early teaching of safe gun handling.

Well. I got my first gun at the age of 6 years. It was a 410 shot gun and I
oiled it almost every day. It was always in my room and I had the shells.

However, there were some rules.
Assume it is always loaded and the job it would do on a watermelon was
the same job it would do on a human.
Never point it at anyone (reference first rule).
Never display it to anyone (having one didn't make you better and didn't
entitle you to any points).
If you ever violate any of the rules, the gun will be confiscated and
your ass will be kicked unmercifully (you can bet your ass I believed that
if you knew my old man).

I have owned multiple guns for 50 years and have never brandished one in
anger (don't claim that I haven't been tempted, but have not had to as a
matter of self preservation). The point is that I was taught that I was
responsible for my actions. Not you, not the government and not anyone
else. Just me.

Of course, YMMV.

BTW, I'm from middle Georgia originally, so the usual Texas assumptions do
not apply.

--
Regards,
Mike