JK

Default ground floor chimney breast partial removal

BigWallop wrote:
JK wrote:
I've read with some alarm old posts in the group about removing the
chimney breast from downstairs rooms. I don't really fancy the
expense of getting it completely removed and properly supported. But
is there a way of simply opening it up to somewhere near ceiling
height, leaving a pillar of bricks on either side and supporting
with an RSJ across those pillars. So it would be like a normal
fireplace, only a lot bigger, creating an alcove of usable space.
This is in a ground floor flat, no access to the upstairs at all
(though cooperative people upstairs who would allow anything that
was complying with regs and done by professionals).

Thanks,

John

There is no way to remove only a partial section of a chimney breast
because it is most commonly forming an actual part of the building
structural support. The only way is to remove all or none I'm afraid.

But all I'm proposing is something like a larger fireplace opening. As it
was built, it would have have an opening about 3' square with a lintel for
support. I'm just thinking I could make that higher and a bit wider, with a
bigger lintel.