Andy

Sounds like a job too small for an architect or a lighting designer unless
you willing to pay for it. Lighting is very personal like buying a car
unless you don't care about your ride. I suggest you review and approve
the type of light fixtures and installation - endless possibilities -
before you let someone run with it otherwise you end up with a lighting
ambiance that rubs against your personality. Get a good electrician you
could work with and review the lighting options before you give him/her
the go ahead. Go see some of his/her installations to get some ideas
first.

It is personal, but that's why I figure that some sort of designer would be
able to translate my needs into the best configuration. I'm willing to pay
for getting it done right. Plus I definitely don't want to hang the ceiling
fan myself so I'm going to have to involve a third party in any case.

Is it really out of the ordinary to do such a small job? I have researched
the problem a bit and there are indeed a lot of options like you say, so I
figure someone who knows the area could do a much better job choosing than I
could.

I guess my question is that I'm looking for someone who has the aesthetic
sense, knows the functional issues like energy efficiency and what kind of
automation is available, and practical stuff like running wires (I happen to
have wood paneling on all the walls which I imagine complicates things).
When I think of an "electrician", I don't think of someone whose forte is
aesthetics, I suppose. Is that not accurate? Do you typically get an
electrician to do the lighting?

Andy