Default Power washer fault, help please

I have a B&Q PP power washer that has given sterling service for quite
a while now, however it's just stopped working with what I suspect may
be a simple to cure fault.

The fault is that it simply doesn't run now when you press the trigger
on the spray. It used to have the standard way of working such that
the motor only ran when you press the trigger.

It went intermittent for a while, you'd press the trigger and the
motor would be hesitant for a while and then run continuously. Now it
doesn't start at all.

I'm pretty sure that there's simply no power getting to the motor,
whatever cuts it off when it's not spraying is cutting it off all the
time.

Inside the case (well, when you take the top cover off) there is one
adjustment, a spring loaded plunger comes out of the high pressure
delivery connection and pushes something inside the plastic box which
also has the On/Low/High control going into it. This plunger can have
its length adjusted. Can anyone explain what it's for and how it
should be adjusted?

Any other ideas as to what might be wrong would be welcome. I'm quite
happy to take it apart further if necessary, if it's a write off I
won't be so unhappy, it's earned its keep already.

--
Chris Green