Rick

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:01:14 +0100, justme
wrote:

I'd like to make a log splitter myself, they are too expensive to buy.
So what I need is a frame with a steel plate at one end which the log
rests on, and an V shaped steel plate at the other end driven by an
hydraulic ram, 4 ton or more ought to do it.

But I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I need some help...

What do you suggest I get the ram off? (in a scrap yard) and how would
I then set it up to be mechanically pumped by the operator.
Instructions and ideas please.

While searching the web for something the other day, I found an
electric log splitter for 100 quid ish. I can't find it right now.

Unless you have something to run the hydrolics off, its gonna be
expensive to make one thats any more than a bottle jack. Just the cost
of the hoses and connectors will run the bill up.

I have some log splitting wedges, that I wack in with a sledge hammer,
they are good at this type of work.

You may find that you can hire in a log splitter for a weekend once a
year, and do all the job with a big machine.

Rick