Ralph Mowery

"Marc Miller" wrote in message
news:TKDEe.67451$R21.42940@lakeread06...
I'm no electrician so I thought I would post a question. What's the

maximum
draw
that can be connected to a standard household circuit? I have a 200amp
panel and just installed a circuit with numerous outlets and a fluorescent
light fixture on a 15amp breaker with 12/2 Romex (Does that mean all
equipment connected cannot exceed 15amps on this one circuit?). I put two
duplex outlets
together so I would have four connections in the basement, and then the

wire
was run to the garage to power the light as well as one duplex outlet.

Just
curious as I don't want to get in trouble.

You hear about people starting fires by connecting too many appliances to
one outlet. I don't think I have that problem but want to make sure. The
only things connected in the basement are low draw appliances (high speed
modem, two routers and an ac adapter to charge the house alarm battery).
Thanks...

The # 12 wire is good for 20 amps but the breaker you installed is only good
for 15 amps. That means the breaker will trip way before the limit of the
wire is exceeded. The light will use on eor two amps. This leaves 13 or
14 amps for the outlets. Nomater how many outlets you have the total will
add and the current of all the outlets on the circuit and the light can not
be more than the 15 amps the breaker is rated for .