David Dickinson

Default Quality of Wickes kitchen cabinets?

Bob Minchin wrote:

David,

Whichever units you choose ( I have 19 year old Wickes ones which are as
good as new) Take the time to seal the bottom edges of the chipboard with
50-50 diluted waterproof PVA wood glue and allow to dry before assembly. If
you ever get a water leak in the future, this will significantly reduce the
water absorbed by the carcases. Without this precaution they will soak up
water and swell and have the strength of Weetabix.

The old units that I took out didn't have any separate legs - the sides
of the carcasses rested directly on the ground, but all the new units
being sold seem to be supported on plastic or metal legs to avoid the
problem you mentioned.

I'm putting metal legs on the base units rather than plinths, so water
shouldn't cause any problems :-)

David.