George E. Cawthon

tenplay wrote:
As I get older, I am needing more light to read and tasks. I have a
couple of lamps that are rated at 60 watts. Is there any harm in using
higher wattage bulbs to increase the illumination? Thanks.

You are getting a bunch of BS answers. First, you
can use the maximum size stated on the fixture,
but don't use a bigger bulb. Some fixture don't
say anything but you can test it by putting your
hand on the shade which can get warm but not hot
unless it is metal. The real solution may be move
the fixture closer or buy new fixtures that use
larger or multiple bulbs, use fixture that are
shorter so the bulb is closer to the work area, or
buy fixtures that allow moving the bulb such as
a parallel extension light.