wayne

not advisable you can get a compact fluorescent that will put out more
light for less watts. A more important thing to look at is where is
the light going? The light for reading should be coming in over your
shoulder to avoid shadows for working on a workbench overhead is OK but
will create shadows 2 lights at the end along with an overhead light
will work best? It is not the wattage you need to look at but the
lumens and the type of lamp or enclosure any lamp or fixture with a
reflector will provide more light to a specific place. A good example
is car headlights most are 55 watts but they vary in brightness
depending on how well designed the housing and reflector are made.

Wayne

tenplay wrote:

As I get older, I am needing more light to read and tasks. I have a
couple of lamps that are rated at 60 watts. Is there any harm in
using higher wattage bulbs to increase the illumination? Thanks.