Ev Dugan

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:25:53 GMT, Suzie-Q
wrote:

In article et,
"uncle k" wrote:

- Note: Someone in an RV group recommended that I post this here,
- complementing your NG for having many great ideas.
-
- We travel pretty regularly in our RV, and have recently bought a winter home
- in AZ. When we're away for up to two months, our house plants (in WA)
- somehow survive, with a good soaking when we leave, along with placing them
- so they'll get enough light, but not burn up. They're awfully thirsty by
- the time we come home.
-
- Now that we expect to be gone for longer periods, we need some kind of
- automatic, indoor watering system. We need to shut off our house water
- while we're gone, to avoid potential disaster, since our house is somewhat
- remote. In other words, whatever we get will need to be battery operated
- (winter power outages are common) and draw water from buckets/tank/whatever.
- So far, what I've found doesn't have enough capacity to do the job. We
- simply have
- too many plants, which will suck up a lot of water in three to five months.
- It's not practical to have someone go to our house, nor do we want to impose
- that on anyone, especially when they wouldn't have water to use for
- themselves (not to mention our complicated alarm system).
-
- Does anyone here use an automatic system, or have a brainstorm for how we
- could keep these poor plants happy? Some of them are decades old... we'd
- hate to do them in. Thanks for your input.
-
- Unc

How about this automatic watering system from Hammacher Schlemmer?
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/70899.asp?promo=search