Paul Franklin

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:11:30 -0700, tenplay wrote:

As I get older, I am needing more light to read and tasks. I have a
couple of lamps that are rated at 60 watts. Is there any harm in using
higher wattage bulbs to increase the illumination? Thanks.

Yes, often they will overheat. A 100 bulb puts out a lot more heat.
This can melt plastic parts, or even damage the bulb socket and
wiring.

What you can do is replace with a compact flourescent. A 60 watt CF
gives out as much or more light than a 100 watt incandescent but runs
cooler. They are available in shapes that will screw into a standard
lamp socket.

HTH,

Paul