bprose bprose is offline
Junior Member

Location: Western Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to bprose
Red face How to remove hot water baseboard heater

First, I'm brand new to this forum, and thrilled to find you all here.

Second, I'm an avid DIYer, and have done lots of heavy-duty work myself.

Third, I just bought a condo in a building built in 1915 as apartments. Much of the improvements made on the units here were done on the cheap... Including the hot water baseboard heat installation: All the plumbing was installed *outside* the walls. The only good news about this is that most of my plumbing is *very* accessible.

Fourth, and here's my situation, I just tore down a wall which separated the original tiny, very un-functional kitchen from the "butler's pantry" where the beautiful old cabinetry is. Wonderful, except what I have now is two hot water baseboard heaters running through the middle of the room. My beloved plumber has a plan for redirecting the heating which will also work with the new appliances and cabinets I'm going to install. However, he won't be available for several weeks (NONE of the plumbers in my area have any time,) and I need to get my flooring in and get my walls prepared for the appliances, cabinets and countertops that will be arriving in the next couple weeks.

So I want to remove the baseboard heaters myself and to cap off the pipes at the edges of the room so I can do the work I need to do ASAP... If that's possible. I've already stripped them down to just pipe and fins.

My level of experience with plumbing: I've removed and installed toilets and sinks & faucets using copper, pvc and almost every other type of pipe.

So can I do this? If so, HOW? I've scoured the internet and haven't found a how-to on this.

THANK YOU for what ever help you might be able to give me!!!

--Bonnie.