Norminn

clipped

The whole idea is to do this without using our house water system. We've
left for up to two months numerous times and never had any problem. I
agree, four months is a stretch. We do leave the power on, to run our
security system, timers, and supply enough heat to keep things from being
damaged by cold or dampness. Even if I have someone go in once a week,
there's no guarantee that a leak wouldn't start the minute they left. One
week, let alone one day, with water running through the floors would be
disasterous. I could put all the loose plants in a kids wading pool or the
like, but a serious leak would fill that in no time.

Unc

My original thought was to use a container (trash can, kiddy pool, etc)
to pump water from, in garage or other waterproof location, using a
limited water supply and battery supply. You said you have a lot of
plants, but no number ... huge planters or a bunch of manageable pots?

Another thought, given the attachment to plants and length of vacations,
would be to build a greenhouse large enough to handle the houseplants
and supply their needs for long periods.

Yes, water leaks are disastrous - we had about three minutes worth from
a broken washer hose. Fortunately, tile and terrazzo floors weren't
damaged and we got a wet vac going before the water damaged cabinets and
baseboards. All day would have trashed our home.

Last resort - a garden club, nursery or friend who would plant-sit if
you haul them somewhere else )