justme justme is offline
Junior Member

Default toilet won't flush

Hello,

Please excuse the diybanter access (to the newsgroup)

I am away from home and the home I'm in has a broken toilet. I have removed the top. I have what I think is known as a close coupled toilet, there is a float arm which works ok - water level is ok. The handle moves just as it should, links to a metal rod which is about 4 inches long and this rod goes vertically down and connects to what I would call the syphon chamber, when the handle is 'flushed' the rod comes upwards pulling something inside the syphon chamber upwards.

The only place I can see for the fault to lie is in side the central black plastic 'syphon chamber' (?)

Description of the syphon chamber:
You will no doubt be familiar with what I am talking about, there is a 40mm black pipe connecting the 'close coupled' bit which then forms an upside down 'U' bend and the other end of the 'U' widens out and is about 100mm wide this end is open to the water and I guess has a piston inside connected to the rod going to the handle.

Flush the loo and nothing happens except a bit of water goes through.

Is this a case of needing a new syphon chamber - which would mean emptying the tank, and removing it - is it fastened by bolts from underneath?

Or is it repairable? which would still mean the syphon has to be removed?

Thankyou

Last edited by justme : July 23rd 05 at 01:51 PM