Owen Lowe

In article ,
Bill B wrote:

OK, I am only a hack at woodturning, but why are the registration fees
for woodturning symposiums so high? $130 ($200 if I can't leave the
wife behind)to attend our local one, is this the norm for other areas?

http://www.rmwoodturningsymposium.com/

I see some big name turners are doing presentations, but jeez, how is
the little guy supposed to be able to convince the wife he "needs" to
attend? Even the guy that owns the local woodworking store, where I buy
90% of my wood working supplies and tools (turning supplies too),
doesn't attend because of the cost.

I decided to visit the Rocky Mtn. WT symposium info site you posted
after I made my first reply.

In the RM registration fee you get 10.5 hours of instruction, 1 hour of
critique and Saturday dinner for $130/single:$200/couple (pay by Sept. 1
and get $20 off). Let's say dinner is worth $12.50 to buy in a
restaurant, *and* assuming you got your bucks to them in the next 37
days, that leaves $97.50/$155 to pay for the educational opportunity.
That leaves the cost per hour at $8.50/$13.50 - not a bad investment to
further your development from "hack" to accomplished turner.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm