mike

Tim Shoppa wrote:

Did it smell/stink?

Smelled like Carbon Tet
Not as good as 'Banana Oil' but not bad like Methylchlorides,
which I need goggles to be around to keep the eyes from tearing
up or like I can't stand ammonia at all, but no probs
with Carbon Tet: you could get it on your skin without it burning,
but you would sure want to put on some lotion afterwards.

Some said it gave them a good buzz followed by a headache.
But yeah, I would try to use it outside or in the Garage, and
not in the basement. Sure would knock hardened cosmoline
right off of parts, though.

Trichloroethylene was wimpy in the degreasing department vs
Carbon Tet, and cost more. Ran out of Carbon Tet in '82 or so.

Methyl chloride and ammonia (not at the same
time!), concentrated and hot, make real good paint removers. But
they'd both stink to high-heaven.

What do they put in today's carb/brake cleaners? It smells like
Trichloro-something.

I think its still in there, but I haven't found the gallon
cans of Trichloroethylene in, oh, 10 years, and a bit
more for the Freon TF

**
mike
**