Leuf

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:43:18 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

The plus side is that you now have one expertly constructed surplus
miniature gazebo. I am sure that another great project/drama is in your
future!

You know I've always sensed in them a deep longing to start a
miniature gazebo collection...

I have seen/experienced things like this before. It is real funny when it
happens to someone else. Not so much fun when it happens to you.

Well we'd gone hiking on wed, it was after that I found out. I was
just too exhausted to do anything but laugh at the time. Every time I
head down to the shop if Dad happens to pass by we have a chuckle. I
mean, one gazebo is an octagon, and one is a hexagon. How can you not
laugh at not even getting the right basic shape?

How do you come up with your gazebo plans?

I actually got started woodworking with doing scale models. Dad got a
train set and I started making buildings. I don't do it too often
anymore, but it's something that comes fairly easy by now. The main
thing for me is I don't try to do an exact scale model. There are
limits to what I can reasonably cut, 1/16th thickness for example. So
I just take stock of what I can do, and what it's supposed to look
like and find compromises that work.

A picture that's square on and from far enough away to mostly
eliminate perspective distortion is a big help. I'll load up the
picture in an image editor and write down dimensions in terms of
pixels. Then it's just a matter of picking one dimension and then
scaling all the rest based on the pixel dimensions, rounding off to
convenient numbers.

Two days down, one and a half to go. The base, posts and railings are
done except for railings on the stairs. Stain is drying on it now.
Tomorrow it's on to the roof.

*yawn*

-Leuf