Joseph Gwinn

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

bw wrote:
Just pour a half-gallon of "liquid drain cleaner" in a 5 gallon plastic
bucket and add a couple gallons warm water....

Knowing it was "just lye", I once used dry/crystals Drano to make paint
remover and had a horrible mess. It was a while ago, so I don't
remember details. I do remember that there was something else besides
lye in the Drano and that something left an awful mess. Bob

Drano contains sodium sulfite and aluminum flakes in addition to lye, if
memory serves. The aluminum is eaten by the lye, raising the
temperature to boiling.

One can buy straight lye in some grocery stores (in the soap & cleaners
isle), especially in rural areas.

Joe Gwinn