jakdedert

MSCHAEF.COM wrote:
In article ,
Ingo Cyliax wrote:
These are nice machines, but had some problems. I think this is a
common problem. And yes, none of the vias are plated on the several
TP560 models I have owned.

My 560 failed in the same way, about a year and a half after I bought
it (new, years ago). It was a wonderful little machine while it
lasted.

I seem to remember that the hinge for the display basically sat on the
motherboard, using it something like a washer between the case and the
hinge bracket. I don't know if that was really a problem, but it
always seemed like the motherboard (near the power supply section, in
particular) would get flexed every time the display was moved.

-Mike

I have a 560e which also failed in the same manner. I bought a junker to
use for parts, which got it going for a few more years. I, too, tried all
sorts of fixes before using the 'nukular' option. I had the machine apart
multiple times, flexing, tweaking, shimming...minutely examining every
joint. When I got the parts machine, I was sure that replacing the DC
converter board would fix it...no soap. Even after I got it going, it never
again charged the battery despite the fact that I swapped DC boards. I had
to use it on AC for the rest of it's life.

Once it started acting up again, I gave up on it.

jak