mac davis

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 02:19:24 -0700, Owen Lowe wrote:

In article , "George" George@least
wrote:

I suppose you might be, having suggested it. But good service needs no
hype.

How is a new customer supposed to know that Ruth offers outstanding
service if she doesn't point it out? Repeat customers may not need such
a description but new ones have nothing to go on.

If you were selling a turning would you not talk up the quality, details
or uniqueness of the turning? After all, the customer ought to be able
to recognize all those things without a word, yes? I see nothing wrong
or untoward in letting a customer know the effort and care that goes
into the item they are purchasing whether it's in the making or the
packaging.

Does anyone else see my point or am I hanging off my own cliff on this
one?

Yep.. the reason that I brought up mentioning your care in packing to Ruth is
that I buy several things a year from a couple on ebay, (they live in Ohio and
find a lot of used shopsmith stuff), and I was impressed when I saw their
shipping section for the first time..
They said upfront that their handling charges were a bit high, but they wanted
to get the item to you well packed and intact... and guaranteed that it would
be...

This, to me, is an example of WHY you say (and do) something like that... so
that someone is impressed by it, orders from you and then tells others that they
were impressed..

OTOH, if you say it and don't DO it, you get negative referrals, which are about
10 times more effective than positive ones...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing