EXT

Common mistake: disconnecting all the wires without marking or recording how
they were originally connected. Sorry, you are on your own. It is a fair
amount of work to trace out which are connected to switches, live feed and
others that may go to receptacles. You start by grouping the wires by
matching the cables that come into the box. Unfortunately there are a number
of different wiring techniques for hooking up three way switches. You
probably need to buy a book on wiring that explains the different methods
and wire colors. If this is still too much, get an electrician in. When all
the proper connections are done, pigtails should be provided to connect the
light fixture with, so that future removal does not entail disconnecting
everything again.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing the overhead light in my kitchen. The old light has been
removed to reveal a total of 8 wires in the ceiling (four pairs of 2).
I have tested these 8 wires and only 1 is hot.

Two switches contol the light. Those have been left in the wall and
not touched (the old light was working fine). Also, there is one wall
outlet that appears to be included in the circuit, since it does not
work now that the ceiling light has been removed.

I realize it would have been best to mark the ceiling wires before
disconnecting them from the old light.

My question is, how to I properly wire the new light fixture?

Thanks in advance.