JJ

Default Ceiling fan/light wiring

I had an addition put on and specified to the electrician that I wanted 3
wires to the ceiling box for a fan/light combo. I got just what I expected,
a black, red, white and ground wire. Here's where I'm confused. At the
switch box, which also contains 3 other switches, all the whites were tied
together and for the fan/light combo, I was left with 2 blacks and a red. I
assumed two of those would have power and one was common. Checking with my
meter, I checked all 3 to ground and all 3 to each other and I could only
find power on one black to ground. I bought a combo switch for the fan and
the light, which requires a 3rd wire, hooked it up and all is working but I
don't understand how. The black w/power went to the fan. How is the light
getting power?

thanks,