toller

"Normally" there will be a red wire to one breaker and a black wire to the
other. And "normally" they will trace to a common cable with a single
white.

I suppose the acid test is to read the current going out over the two hots
and the current returning over the (presumably) single neutral. The neutral
current would be the difference between the two.
uriah wrote in message ...

How do I check for this type circuit?

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 03:40:55 GMT, Steve B. wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:17:28 -0400, " uriah wrote:

In preping house to sell was running dedicated circuit to bathroom for
gfi socket as bathroom had no socket only only light switch.
discovered that all upstairs (bathroom and 3 bedrooms) were on 2 (two)
20 amp breakers that were ganged. Also found the old wiring was 14
gage. I will of course be replacing the breakers with 15 amp
breakers. Anyone have any idea why the breakers were ganged and when
replaced must I also use ganged 15s or just one for each of the two
circuits?

There is a chance that those two circuits are sharing a neutral (an
Edison circuit). It is a good idea to keep them ganged so that no one
will accidentally but them on the same "phase" in the future.

Steve B.