Prometheus

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:47:00 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

In all of history has France ever won a war by themselves?

1066. They conquered Britian. Probably other cases as well, but
that's the big one.

But then again, who gives a crap? What war has Switzerland ever won-
do you hate them too? They don't agree with the US- but I fail to see
why that is such a major source of irritation for so many people.
It's not like they're getting ready to invade Maryland. Just because
they don't want to tear down their cafes to make room for a Walmart
with a McDonald's in it, and would rather be French than an American
colony is no crime.

Courage comes in different forms, and not all of them erupt from the
barrel of a gun.

wrote in message
roups.com...
After all this circuitous "logic"- which can set one spinning, back to
the apparent initial assumption- that France can be dissed because it
wouldn't tag along with W's let's-have-a-war party. "Freedom fries"
and all that.

Maybe they take a longer historic view of the downside of war? Like
what happened at Verdun? And elsewhere. Maybe they, like the Pope,
saw the folly of what W was selling. Maybe they like to think for
themselves.

Nobody can claim perfection. Those we dissed in the pre-war period,
like Hans Blix, it turns out were seeing and telling the truth about
Saddam's weapons. Sure gives them a leg up on our beloved leaders.