RonB

The cost of equipment?
The labor time?
The work made me feel my idea of making some money might never even
recover the cost of investment (maybe $10,000 for all) much less the
costs of selling at craft fairs.
Is this just retiree hobby territory for 98% of us? Sorta like golf, with
just a rare few making money?

George:
This sounds more like a money-making venture than hobby or passion. If you
are not getting into turning because you enjoy it, chances are you are not
going to do all that well. It takes time to develop the skill. Most
importantly it takes a certain amount of imagination - the ability to see an
end product in a piece of raw wood; and then make it happen - to be
successful. I think this is what drives a lot of woodworkers and turners.

Your estimate of a $10,000 investment is high - way high. My turning
experience is part of an overall woodworking hobby. I have a pretty decent
garage workshop and I doubt if my total equipment investment is much more
than that. I started turning a couple of years ago with a Jet 1442. I
started with the lathe, a decent set of tools, a small nova chuck, a new
face shield (most important of all) and odds-and-ends. I doubt if my total
investment was much more than $1,000 to 1,100. Yes you will have to buy a
few more tools to prepare your wood but a good band saw, entry level (used)
table saw, drill press and more odds-and-ends should get you started. By
the way, the Jet 1442 is a good machine but there are many less expensive.
Also, it would not travel well in our 31' 5th wheel.

RonB