Eric R Snow

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:17:42 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Have to agree -- we had several heavily stained sections of carpet (10 years of
kids) and nothing would touch it. I tried purple Castrol diluted 16:1 and
scrubbed it with clean white rags and then the carpet machine with purple
Castrol in it, followed by 2 clean water rinse cycles, and dang if it didn't
come pretty clean. I was amazed.

But to clean most metal parts I use Cascade dishwashing detergent, a strong hot
solution preferably boiled. It will take off paint and grease but it's much more
friendly and safe to work with than lye and much cheaper than TSP, although
those two will work fine too. In my parts washer I use mineral spirits aka
Stoddard solvent aka paint thinner.

GWE

Grant,
Another benefit of Cascade is that it does not encourage rust. BTW, I
used to work with a chemist who told me that Cascade had more buffers
than Electrosol and because of this Electrosol made a good etchant for
aluminum prior to painting. I've never tried it though.
ERS
Waynemak wrote:
I will have to agree "purple power" or the "Castrol superclean" will work
EXCELLENT. It will remove paint so be careful. I have used gallons of the
stuff to clean just about anything. Just the other day I had a black grease
stain on some new bright white shorts they wnet through the wash and dry and
the stain was there. the wive me the standard crap about, well you know, I
Used some purple power gave it o good scrube, stuck it in the washer (wife
not knowing this was in her machine) and they came out like new.
wrote in message
ups.com...

Go down to the sprawl mart and get a gallon or two of the castrol
superclean or wally worlds generic version