Mike Fields

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill Chernoff wrote:
My son got his bicycle chain all caught around the crank. The only

solution
was to pull the crank off, for which I needed a special puller. No

problem!
To the toolbox I went, dug down a few layers and produced a special

puller
for my own bike that I made under my grampa's direction on his 9 inch

Atlas.
This was way back when I was still in university. I built this tool

before
you were born, I declared to my son. See, its even engraved Grampa &

Bill
1985. The boy was only moderately impressed. He was way more

interested in
getting the bike fixed than hearing a discourse on the providence of the
tools we were using. So I showed my wife later and she was not

impressed at
all. Especially when I admitted I had now used the tool twice, once in
1985, and once yesterday. You're such a packrat, it doesn't surprise me

at
all she says. So I put the tool back in the box. Someday I'll pull it

out
again, and I'll not tell anyone where it came from, because I know.

Grampa
can't even walk any more, let alone spend an afternoon working on his

old
(but bought new in 1956) Atlas. But we did in 1985, and I've got the

tool
to prove it. Maybe some of you guys will understand.

I understand perfectly. Make sure to visit Granddad and tell him,
maybe show him the tool again, he will understand, too. And apprecate
it more than most of us can know. Great feeling, great story.
Thanks.
-Al A.

Here is one for you -- excuse the long link. Check out the clip "Old Man"
by the Irish Tenors here (part way down the page):

The whole album is great, but that song in particular is very moving.

mikey