BigWallop

"Ade" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks both for quick reply..

I hadn't considered the MCBs being single pole

I like the idea of a Grid switch, but hadn't considered feeding each DP
switch from a single MCB.

If you make a short ring circuit just to supply the appliances in the
kitchen, then you can use one properly rated MCB as the safety breaker
device for it.

The ring circuit can have all the remote switching connected on it, and then
spaced around the room to suit. From the remote switching to "un-switched"
sockets below the worktop don't need separate fused connector units in this
configuration.

Can the Grid Switch be out of sight, in the pantry? or does it have to
be nearby the appliance?

The remote switching is best kept in a place which is easily reached in an
emergency, and in a place convenient for use when maintaining the
appliances.

If an engineer has to walk back and forth to a switch while he works on an
appliance, then it isn't very convenient.

The building Regs were applied for / passed 4 years ago, and this is
the last job on the extension (apart from the bathroom happening in
parrallel). I understood that as I had started the extension Part P
didn't apply?

regards

Adrian

For your own sake, it would be better to keep the new installation up to
current requirements, and not to try and retro-fit anything.