Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

I'll admit that I'm a mite bothered by those who engage in bashing the
French. Most people everywhere are good and decent and have within
them an amazing courage when they call it up - and the French don't
appear to lack any of the qualities we admire. Seems unjust to talk
about collaboration and surrender without mentioning the resistance
and all of the American (and Canadian /and/ Brit) lives they saved -
and how much risk they took in doing so.

Thank you Morris for the posts.

Boy, Oh boy. I kept telling myself I wasn't gonna post to this as I
don't know French history and can't shout down those "just having a
little fun." However an overview commentary seemed appropriate.

What I don't get in these times is the propensity to bash those who
"we'd" rely on if times got really tough. The French would come to our
aid. As would many other countries who publicly disagreed with our
recent actions. There is such a nasty climate, by many, kicking
long-time friends - be they French or whomever - domestic as well as
international. The attitude is that there's no need to show respect if
they're not going to agree with what "we" say and do. The problem with
that is there is 100% certainty a day will come when help is needed -
money will run out, wars will be lost, catastrophe will befall. Every
single one of those is inevitable in time - and who's going to want to
offer aid after they've been kicked, criticized and made fun of
repeatedly?

Some old-Europe leader was commenting on the US on the world stage a few
years back. In his view, the US was like a teenager - young, idealistic,
and physically fit but with a tendency to act brashly, with immaturity
and with selfishness. I think the US had better try to act a little more
mature, watch its manners and make nice or else we may find ourselves
sent to our room and be made to feel truly alone in the world.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05